Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The ugly side of Semana Santa

Okay, I admit, I dislike Semana Santa (Holy Week) and don't recommend spending time in a Latin American country during this week! Basically, Semana Santa entails alot of partying at the beach and drinking beer with friends and family. You wouldn't believe it but they come from all over Mexico here to Guayabitos for the inexpensive accommodations/restaurants and the beautiful beach. I met some people from Tijuana today and there are license plates from Mexico City, Guanajuato, Michoacan, etc. It really wouldn't be that bad here if they would simply turn down the volume! Today, really bad American 80's music was blasted in the morning, Mexican pop music in the afternoon, and now tonight (at 10pm) it is Mexican karaoke, with really bad singers, all of it blasting right into our house from the bungalow hotel across the street. Also, we don't have window glass over half the windows (only screens), so it is not possible to shut out the noise, we must just endure it. I have started singing along with some of the songs I recognize after hearing them at least 5 times during the day. I'll have to find a copy of the bootleg CD at the Tianguis to bring back to the States.

There at least 5 bands based a few blocks from our house and they do alot of practicing during the day (and night). Mom said she can hear their music playing during the middle of the night (2am and later). There are many people at the beach, but it is supposed to get really crowed Wednesday through Sunday. Thursday is Holy Thursday and Friday is Good Friday and Sunday is Easter, I am guessing the fireworks will start sometime soon and I am surprised to not have heard them yet. Buses and cars pull in really early in the morning, luckily I don't hear much because my room is in the interior and I have a fan going. I guarantee all this will get worse as the week goes on......

We took a walk to the beach today and hung out at Tequila Willies beach restaurant in order to chat with our friend Juana (who is the same age as me), who works there in the kitchen and she used to help my mom clean the house. We did get to enjoy some mariachi music, a band was playing for a family at the beach bar next door. Jauna's son, 5 year old Chuy, was there hanging out all day and her other kids, Alex (10 years) and Carolina (13) were walking the beach selling fake tattoos and hair braiding to the tourists. Alex is saving to buy a bicycle so we chipped in and each got a 5 peso temporary tattoo, that will supposedly last 2 weeks.

I asked Luke what he noticed the most when returning to the States (he is in Wisconsin visiting family) and he thought it was really quiet and clean and orderly in the States, way less chaotic..... The thing I look forward to most is the peace and quiet at our house in Alaska and being able to fall asleep without wearing earplugs each night (except when Luke has to get up early in the morning to watch the Packers on TV)!

No comments: