Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Staying at Monkey Bungalows!
We moved into a cheaper place for a few days. It is a bungalow on the hillside with views of Kantiang Bay and the ocean. As soon as we got checked into the bungalow, I was out of the deck, getting ready to meet Luke for lunch at the cafe, when a troupe of monkeys came and jumped onto the bungalow next to us. They started causing a bit of trouble, going through the things our neighbors had left out and jumping on the the table rocking it back and forth! They were very bad monkeys. I was a bit scared to leave because the leader, a big male, kept flashing his vampire teeth at me! I slowly scooted past, without making eye contact, because I saw something years ago on gorillas, how you need to avoid making eye contact with the leader to show respect.... It seemed to work and he let me by without attacking. Of course, the main reason I was so nervous was because we had seen the monkey attacks earlier on Ko Phi Phi at Monkey Beach.
We saw the monkeys several other times during the day. The next morning we woke up at 7:45 to monkeys on our roof making a bunch of racket. Our neighbors warned us they would be playing in the trees above the bungalows in the morning.
Today we are renting a motorscooter to cruise around Ko Lanta, which is a pretty big island.

3 comments:
Hi Emily and Luke! Happy New Year!
Nice pictures. I am glad you are having a good time.
We just got back from our own holiday to California to be greeted with the tail end of a -40F spell that held Fairbanks in a bind for two weeks. Nice that you are not here for that.
Hey Luke, I wanted to ask you for your mailing address. We got a piece of mail that DEC had sent to your physical address but got returned. Perhpas they did not have the correct house number.
Anyways I have it here on my desk until I hear back from you.
Safe Travels! And watch out for those BAD Monkeys!!
Johnny.
Back home in Mexico late last night. Dad is back to work at 9 this a.m. Happy to be warm again, after a windy cold D.C. Fun to read your blog again. Don't they warn you about the monkeys at your bungalow, if they are dangerous or not? Happy final days of vacation!
They say the monkeys aren't dangerous. But they are a little intimidating. The problem is that the owner feeds them every morning....
-Emily
Post a Comment