Saturday, March 17, 2007

Life in Mexico

On Thursday, we met Jeanie and Dennis for breakfast before the Tianguis in La Penita where I ordered chilaquiles, because I am getting really sick of eating eggs all the time for breakfast. Then mom and I headed to Tianguis, where all the vendors were selling Mexican crafts, food, jewelry, used and new clothing, pirated music and movies. Jeanie suggested that Mom set up a booth at the Tianguis next week to sell her photography and SX70 manipulation cards. So now, Mom is busy getting ready for Tianguis, she might be the only gringo selling stuff at Tianguis, so it should be pretty fun.

After Tianguis we drove up the hill to look at a house where Mom and Dad are going to move in May. They are renting a different house up on the hill in La Penita, 2 miles north of Guayabitos. We didn't go inside yet, but it looks really nice with beautiful gardens and a great view of the ocean.

When we returned home, mom and I made chocolate chip cookie dough and split it into 3 equal parts, one for me, one for mom, and one for dad. Mom and I like to eat ours raw and dad likes his cooked so we decided each gets their own share and can do what they want with it.

Since arriving back here, I have been eaten alive by mosquitoes. They are everywhere, including inside the house, and I am concerned because I don't want to get dengue fever. Last night we heard the fumigation machine going through the neighborhood, so they must have sprayed for mosquitoes, and I was actually somewhat happy because otherwise I think I was going to have to start wearing DEET bugspray, even indoors! Luckily I don't think the chemicals they are using are too harsh on the environment, we think they are using malathion.

On Monday there are two holidays to celebrate, the birthday of Benito Juarez the only indigenous president in Mexico (in the 1800s), and they area also celebrating a flower or nature (as we understand it as told by the cleaning lady, Marisella), so there will be a parade in La Penita. Our little friend Chuy is running for King of his class, whoever raises the most money for the school wins, so he stopped by collecting donations.

No comments: